Sunday 26 July 2015

First week into cycle number two

Last Monday assessment went well and the next day hospital started at 11am at the Robert Ogden Centre with a wig fitting! Yes, I had so little hair at this point that it was decided it would be best to shave the little that remained off so a lovely lady at Robert Ogden took the shears and very caringly shaved away the little that was left. Once it was done I felt so much better as now it would save the continued stress and embarrassment of the hair dropping out around everywhere I walked or sat. The lady was so very patient and understanding to my feelings and I felt very cared for and looked after. Then it was over to Bexley wing ready for chemo round two. After a delay of a couple of hours as they needed to wait for my blood results from assessment day it was all soon underway and went on without a hitch. Getting away at around 4pm it was time to head home after another long day.

The first week has gone well and I have felt well with no major side effects to worry about although the last three days I have not had too much sleep and have been feeling quite tired. District nurses have been calling to observe me self administering my injections and it was agreed they would be happy to leave me to do them alone now without being present. So yesterday I went solo and managed well on my own although 10 minutes later a knock on the door and a district nurse had arrived only for me to say I'd already successfully managed it and explained the agreement was that I was to be independent with my injections. Obviously a lack of communication and she left happy that today I would be left to be independent! 

Next visit from the district nurses should be Tuesday when they come to flush and dress my picc line. So for now all is good and I'm feeling well. 

Poor Nick on the other hand was not feeling very well at all and most unlike him he spent most of the day in bed. Today he is feeling somewhat better and has now gone off to his allotment which he has just recently acquired with the idea of planting and growing healthy fresh fruit and vegetables minus the chemicals in the hope of keeping us all in good health, he's so lovely and tries to do everything he can to look after me, I really am so very lucky to have someone who cares so much.

3 comments:

  1. You sound as if you will be eating allotment produce before long! Next you will be getting a goat...
    Sending my love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in Andrea x x he came back from the allotment today as if he'd been riding a horse on a ranch! All the digging was I think a bit too much while he wasn't feeling that good anyway but still he came back looking very proud with lettuce and cucumber in hand! X x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes well the lesson is, if you are getting into the car to go to your allotment to dig it over, and you already feel a twinge in the back, just forget the plan. It's not worth it. Here I am 2 days later walking around like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

    ReplyDelete