Monday 13 July 2015

Time to get sewing


Nick got me a lovely sewing/embroidery machine for Christmas and I booked myself onto a beginners sewing class and was eager to get to grips with the basics of sewing. With the course set to begin in February we then had the diagnosis that my cancer was back! Although I did then attend the first couple of sessions despite all the hospital appointments and tests to find out exactly how I was effected, it did get to a point where I was unable to complete the course.

So with the very limited sewing knowledge that I have I decided that now would be a good time to have a little go to try to make something simple but useful too.

Now, when they insert your picc line they give you a length of tubular bandage to put over your arm to cover the picc line to prevent you catching it. The bandage soon starts to fray at each end where it's been cut off the roll, quickly becomes grubby and basically doesn't look very attractive at all. 

As I am to have the picc line for around four and a half months and during that time of going through chemotherapy and all of it's side effects, I recognise the fact that I'm not going to feel 100% all of the time. So anyway I came up with this idea with the help of my son Dean, to make something pretty to cover the picc line to save it getting caught on anything. 


I ordered some wide stretch lace trim, wide enough to cover the

picc line. All I needed to do was to cut the length I required to go around my upper arm without being too tight and making sure I had enough extra to allow for the seam. Next I just needed to sew one seam to create a tubular shape and I could then place the finished sleeve over my picc line. 

It's amazing what may seem to be such a small thing can at times like this make you feel so much better about yourself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment