Friday 13 February 2009

A haven retreat

On Wednesday I had the pleasure of taking part in a retreat day at the breast cancer haven centre in Leeds. This consists of a full day of relaxation and meditation within a group of ladies all of whom are dealing with their own breast cancer.

The retreat day usually follows the introduction day which I already did with Cherrie at the end of January. The day after the introduction day I had an appointment at the hospital for my bloods and assessment, so missed the retreat day that followed. So I booked in for the next one. It made no difference, although most of the people there had already met the day before. I, along with a couple of other new ladies was made to feel just as much part of the group as all the rest. It was quite an emotional morning with each of the ladies introducing themselves and all telling their own stories. The great thing was that people felt like they were in an emotionally safe and relaxed environment with others that understood. Where they could express exactly what they felt and knew they were not going to be judged, but listened to by others with an understanding of how they may be feeling. A place where, for a while you don't have to be, "strong!" I had the opportunity to meet with an amazing group of ladies that day, each one with their own lives and stories, but all of them sharing something, ............ an understanding!

Before having breast cancer myself I thought that breast cancer was "breast cancer" and didn't realise or understand that there were so many different types. Since being diagnosed myself I now understand more about breast cancer and the different ways that it can effect each individual person, both physically and emotionally. Each persons breast cancer is as individual as they are, as is each persons treatment regime and everyone has to find a way to cope with it all the best way they can, some may find this easier than others. 

Having a good solid support network is essential. This may be a mixture of home, family, friends, neighbours, colleagues, breast care nurses, telephone support networks, Internet websites, blog sites (like this one, for me has been a fantastic part of my support) and of course breast cancer haven. We are so lucky to have one of these centres here in Leeds as this is only one of three in the whole of the country. Unfortunately for my sister Sharon, living in Wiltshire, breast cancer haven was not an option for her at a time when she could have benefited greatly from the kind of support that breast cancer haven give.

The Leeds haven was only opened in October 2008, lucky for me as I was diagnosed at the end of October 2008 and so have the benefit of being able to make full use of this brand new facility and all that it offers. www.breastcancerhaven.org.uk


4 comments:

  1. Hello Mandy, hope you are in good spirits and enjoyed your day today. Hey those hats are great. I'd love one. Seriously. Let me know if you can make me one and I'll pay you for the wool and make a donation to charity of your choice. You missed a really boring training day today!!!! The fuddle was lovely though. Take care and I'll speak to you again soon. Jayne W X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy. Glad you enjoyed the Retreat Day. How many treatments and classes are you going to sign up for? Perhaps you could start your own "Knit a beautiful hat club". It sounds as though Jayne is about to start you up in business anyway! How about pictures of you in some of them for your next blog? Take care. Thinking of you.
    Love Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandy, How are you doing? I bet you were spoiled on Valentines Day! I am surrounded by mess because my kitchen is being done out, so we are just popping out for a meal. Rebecca says go and watch Pink Panther 2 cos it is really funny, I can't recommend it because it was a grandparents treat, so I wasn't allowed to go!! :(
    Still Brent and I went to some friends for tea :) Look after yourself, Love Andrea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy

    Thank you so much for letting folks know about Breast Cancer Haven. Your blog is quite amazing and introducing me to a whole new world...well done you.

    'Ere, do you have a pattern for these hats then?! I can only do scarves but I'd love to have a go at a hat!

    Love

    Julie at the Haven in Leeds
    x

    ReplyDelete