Monday 2 February 2009

I think I'm losing my hair! :(












As you all know, I have been increasingly losing my hair despite going through the awful cap cooling treatment. I must admit for first time since I started my treatment Saturday did put me on a bit of a downer! 

My hair has been coming out thick and fast since the last chemo. Still I decided to brave going into town with a big fluffy Russian style hat on, which covered my head pretty well. With Nick by my side we went in search of some hats. I managed to find a couple of nice ones that fit nicely. Also bought a wide head band but that didn't turn out to be wide enough! We went for some lunch but I felt that I couldn't take off my hat during that time so did feel a bit uncomfortable sitting in a restaurant eating my meal with a hat on. Unfortunately I had also forgot to bring my tablets with me so time was against us and by this time anyway I was feeling so tired that we decided to leave for home.

Saturday evening I felt even worse about my hair, I was beginning to feel I'd be better off without it as it was becoming so bad, everywhere I walked or sat I would leave hair behind, whenever I ate hair would end up in my food! I was worse than Disney (our little dog) even she doesn't shed nearly as much hair as that! In fact she hardly ever leaves hair. I'm worse than a dog!!

Being really worried about having to wash my hair, I decided "Right I'm going to wash my hair and if it all comes out, well that will be that and I will accept it!" So there it was, I washed my hair and as I did it was coming out in handfuls. Much more than it ever had and it just kept going. At which point I thought, "Well this is it, I'm going to come out bald!" Well it did stop coming out and once it dried, which didn't take very long at all, I started to feel better and have not yet decided what to do for the best. Since washing it after Saturday night The hair loss seems to have really slowed down now so maybe that's it? I really don't know and will take each day as it comes and if it all goes, then so be it!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, the photo's were taken soon after my hair had dried. Top left picture I look like a scarecrow! 

Top right picture is to show you what I can't see but I know everyone else can! (A resemblance to Eddie Windass from Coronation Street.) Unless I keep a hat on!

I have been extremely tired this time round, despite this we went to the White Rose Shopping Centre to buy a birthday present that I needed to get, which we did manage to do. 

After having laid on the sofa for the rest of the day after returning home, we then went to bed. I managed to get to sleep but woke at about 3am and then couldn't get back to sleep. Have slept this morning though for a couple of hours and am now feeling much better! 

By the way the snow looks lovely?  Glad I don't need to go out in it though! Happy to be in the warm today.

I hope I haven't made this post too long!


7 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling a bit more cheery now. Don't give up hope yet - they did say it would thin. If the worst comes to the worst you do have brilliant wigs which look really good and an artistic flair which I'm sure you'll use to do wonderful things with your hats. We all love you, hair or no hair, and at least you know it will grow again eventually. Keep smiling - you're doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cherrie, Yes I am feeling more myself and I am once more in my usual good spirits, back on the up and smiling again! There are so many people with far more problems than myself and when I really think about that, I know that I am truly lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you will feel a bit down about your hair, Mandy, but Cherrie is so right. You are a lovely woman with or without hair, nothing can alter your character and just look at kylie! All her hair has grown back just as gorgeous . Come on kid, we love you! X Andrea x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mandy

    Hi there it's Tracy,we met at Haven in the Introduction and Retreat days.As you may know I have lost all my hair and can really empathise with you.It is so distressing when handfuls are literally coming out.I would wake up with hair in my mouth mouth that I'd consumed in the night!!And the shower, I blocked it every time and my Dad kindly sorted that problem out for me.Take heart it will come back probably even better and I'm living proof of that as I've lost my hair 3 times in the last 10 years.Hope to see you again sometime at Haven.linda Dove and I are thinking of arranging a lunch get together at Haven in the next few weeks and everyone in the group will be invited.Love and take care Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy, a lunch get together sounds great. Since we all met at Haven I have been in contact with Linda and Phillipa, it would be really nice to all meet up again. Lovely to see you here on my blog site. take care, hope to see you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mandy

    It's Mary from the retreat day.-
    it has taken me this long to look at your blog!I think the idea of Tracy's lunch would be fab It would be great to get together on a less emotional day!Keep your chin up amd like TRacy says the hair will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, thanks for your message, it's lovely to see that people want to keep in touch and yes the idea of all meeting up again is a lovely idea :)

    ReplyDelete