Friday 20 February 2009

Third chemo done, halfway mark! To cool cap or not to cool cap?

Well after weeks of torment as to whether I should or should not carry on with the cap cooling treatment it was a very difficult decision to make. After much discussion with staff on the ward and weighing up all the outcomes, it wasn't until they put the cannula into my hand and started administering the saline drip that I finally decided not to carry on with it. The cool cap treatment is not pleasant but I don't regret giving it a go and had I had a better response with it would have been willing to suffer on with the treatment.

The last experience was more painful than the first time, this was because I had already lost a fair bit of hair. It had thinned quite a bit and I had a fairly wide parting which they had expressed slight concern over my head getting burnt with the cold cap. Since the second chemo and cap cooling treatment hair loss has been considerably more and the concern has been the greater risk of burns to my head and was advised that it would be very painful this time. 

They can't explain why some people have better success with the cap cooling treatment than others, it could be due to different hair types but for me sadly the end result was not looking great and rather than putting myself through it anymore, for what was beginning to look like a lost cause I made my decision and think now I chose the right one.

About a week after the second chemo I started to develop a tightness in the veins in my left arm which is where they administer the drugs, which is one of many of the side effects and as time went on there were occasions where it became quite uncomfortable. 

I didn't realise how painful this would be when they started administering chemo number three! At that point I was glad that I wasn't having the pain of the cold cap along with the pain in my arm. To help things they applied a warm pack to my arm and slowed the chemo down which helped. Again as the two previous occasions while the last bit of the second drug was being given I experienced the stinging of eyes and nose and the onset of a headache. The eyes and nose lasted for a short period of time but the headache stayed throughout the evening although not extreme.

In the photo, me in my cosy warm cap doing a good job of hiding a rapidly balding head and the red cold cap now sitting waiting for the next volunteer!!!

Keep tuning in for more updates and look out for future photos, maybe a picture of the new me!!!!


8 comments:

  1. I think you made the right decision too, and you will do for me, hair or no hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you look good in the hat. Sounds as though you made the right decision over the horrible red one! You have the satisfaction of knowing you gave it a go. I suppose you would have always wondered if you hadn't tried it. I'm stuck in at the moment with a tummy bug; one that seems determined to get around. We had Lucy on Friday because Rebecca was ill but since then Lucy has gone down with it, then me and Paul is in bed today! Tony says he feels ill now and hasn't eaten all day. Fortunately it doesn't seem to last too long! Anyway you're half way there with the chemo now. Hope you soon feel OK after the last lot. Hope to see you soon.X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandy
    Hope you are feeling well even though you going through lots of treatment at the moment. Just think though half way through treatment and you're doing brill. I think you made right decision - if its not working for you then no need to put yourself through anymore pain than necessary. Hair or not you're still the same person with same positive attitude.
    Love the hats you could even knit some for the school gala - (ha ha )
    Anyway take care and hope to see you in school soon but try come on any day but not a Friday as thats my day off sort of working for Carl unless the White Rose is beckoning me
    Love Donna
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandy. The cool cap might be so-called "cool" but I reckon that your hats and new look will be way cooler....don't look back just look forward cos you're now on the downhill with chemo no. 3 in the bag......well done you.....keep it up! Thinking of you. Amanda and the gangsters . xxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandy,

    It's great to see that you're still full of smiles in your photos - you are doing so well and you should be really proud of yourself. You are one gutsy lady, way to go girl.
    I think your blog site is brilliant - not only for you but also for all your fan base; your wonderful family and buddies.

    The after School 'SATS' club has started now, can't believe it's only 9 weeks away - AAAAGHHH! You would be proud of your Year 6's - they are working very hard.

    Loving all your fab hats, you look great in them and so glad you're now feeling much more positive about your hair - lots, little or none - it really doesn't matter, what really matters is you as a person.

    Make sure you come in to see us all real soon. Take care and all the best of luck to your lovely sister.

    lots of love and big smelly farts,
    Louise xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Mandy,
    How are you doing? Did you manage to find out any info regarding fund raising for Haven? I have ordered some stuff from another charity for Breast Cancer Research- badges, balloons etc. Karen is going to involve the parents-so we should raise a fair bit.
    I am sad that you have felt down about the cool cap and losing your hair, but I know how strong you are, Mandy, this is one little blip and we all know that you will be able to grow your hair back.You were saying it may be curly at first, you might end up like me and Karen!!!
    Rebecca and Dan have had me watching Hot Fuzz- get it out, its a laugh.Take good care,
    Love Andrea xxx
    Watch the Castleton blog 2moz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandy. Hope things are going o.k and you're managing to keep your spirits up even though at times it's probably a big ask. Crazy weekend ahead when my head will barely touch the pillow ...littl'uns have a packed schedule and the stressometer will defo be off the scale with Sas atempting her first twirling comp......my only coaching tip to her is knock 'em dead with cuteness (she has lost her two bottom front teeth so should be a doddle on that front!).......incidentally, have been having prolems with this lap top for days at a time so am having to strike hot with a message whenever we can get a connection...so if things go quiet on here from us it's not cos we're not thinking of you....we are. Love Amanda ,Greg and the Touchwood four. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mandy. Hope you're having a relaxing few days with your sis....she who has "been there, done that and bought the t-shirt " so to speak in terms of what you're going through....hope she's feeling o.k. after her op....you're a pair of tough cookies.....Incidentally, after the escapades of last weekend a trophy cabinet might come in handy here...I'll let the girlies tell you all about it...Anyway hope you and the funny flood man are managing to look on the bright side of life.....you're doing so, so well. Love from Amanda and the gang xxx.

    ReplyDelete