Tuesday 17 February 2009

Recovery!

Hi bloggers and watcher's of bloggers, Ooooooh Arrrrrrrr!

What's been happening in my life? Well Friday I packed our things ready for our trip to Devizes in Wiltshire to spend a couple of days with my sister Sharon. Nick arrived home in the evening and it wasn't too long before he had the car packed and we were on our way. We stopped after a couple of hours for a drink and a bite to eat and arrived at my sisters at 11:15pm it wasn't long before we were in bed and fast asleep.

We had a lovely weekend and although I was quite tired it was nice to see that Sharon was doing well after her operation and was making a good recovery, what a trooper she is! I only wish I could have been more help to her. However I did manage to make a Sunday Roast for everyone, with the help of Nick and Andy, Sharon's husband. Sunday afternoon came far too quickly and it was soon time to have to gather all our belongings together and say our goodbyes. 

We set off for home with me driving and decided to take a break after a couple of hours. Once again on our way with Nick now in the driving seat, we notice that the battery light is flickering and then decides to stay on. After driving for about half an hour we manage to come off the motorway at Donnington Service Station just before the M1, where we called Green flag. We only had about 20 minutes to wait before being rescued. Our poor car was winched onto the back of the rescue vehicle. We climbed into the cab and were brought home to the door by a friendly Green flag man, who said we had done the right thing as we would not have made it home. 

Plans were made for me to take Nick's car into the garage while he took mine to get to work, but it wouldn't start so at the moment it's still sitting where the Green flag man left it!

I have been quite tired since I got back home. I've had an ear infection for which I've had antibiotics prescribed. Although I've now finished them it still feels like my head is under water. My veins in the arm in which they administer the chemo have started to become uncomfortable, I have a cough and my eyes are dry. Otherwise I am fine and I'm due back at the hospital tomorrow for bloods, ECG and pre assessment in preparation for chemo number 3 which I am due to have this Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. What an adventure! I think everyone should travel on a rescue truck at least once. We did it from Leicester Forest Services to Swindon years ago, when the kids were small, and Marcus and Haf travelled from North London to North Wales very recently! Fortunately they were all set to change their car in Llangollen anyway so just left theirs for scrap and came home later in the week in their new one.
    Hope Nick's car is all sorted now.
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    We'll be thinking of you.
    We must be due for another lunch out when you're feeling OK again after this session. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm... Sunday roast sounds real good! Sorry you're not feeling too well, just let me know if you want me to come and peel some grapes for you, Jaiden is with his dad this week so I'm pretty much free.

    Glad to hear Aunty Sharon is doing well after her op too.

    Love you and take care of yourself. xxx Shona and Lamin

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you got back ok, we to have done that journey in a recovery lorry more than once.
    the dinner was lovely, thanks again.
    you should be in hospital now ready for next chemo, good luck.
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey, hope the car is sorted for Nick. Brent once drove to Wetherby for a takeaway and the same thing happened! Three hours later we had our curry! Hope you are ok with number three treatment-50% over now. See you soon , love Andrea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Nicks usual mode of transport for holidays - a recovery vehicle! It must be his way of saving on fuel costs, good idea! This brings back memories of a holiday with Nick when his car broke down halfway to Devon with the loss of gearbox oil. We ended up following Nick & family on the recovery vehicle to our holiday destination, where the local garage tried fixing the car without much sucess. At the end of the holiday we decided to take a slow drive back on A roads from Devon to Ipswich so that we could stop every 50 miles to refill the gearbox with oil, took a lifetime to get home, nevermind all part of the holiday fun. Anyway the good news was that Castrol recorded record profits on gearbox oil that week!
    Hope your session this week goes ok Mandy and we are all thinking of you, take care, Stuart & Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone, thanks for all your recovery stories, I loved reading them and they all made me laugh. If anyone else has any more great stories it would be rather entertaining for me to read.

    Things went ok today and I will write a further post when I am feeling less tired. Thanks again to everyone who keeps posting messages, it really is good for me to read and helps me to keep feeling good and positive. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi mandy, hope things went okay today, were full of bugs here! Thinking of you as always Love Gabbz and the gang! x x x

    ReplyDelete