Monday 4 May 2015

Mandy just Cannot Stay Away From Firemen!

Well what a day!

Mandy has spent most of it asleep again, catching up on all that she missed earlier. The good news is that most of the wires and tubes have now been deemed no longer necessary. The nurses finally found a sickness relief that works well and it has improved Mandy no end.
So what's this about fireman? Mandy is having a bed bath. I am in the corridor making a call, when the fire alarm goes off and keeps going off, it carries on and on and on.  I see loads of patients through the glass door leading to the next ward reception area. I go through the door and there's patients in various stages of attire, a man standing on one leg the other leg presumably having been operated on, an old lady grimacing and holding on to the side saying it hurts,  and it becomes clear that evacuation procedures are in place. This ward is being joined by the wards on the floor above, and then I hear a nurses concerned voice, What are we going to do about HDU ? ( high Dependency Unit)? I immediately quite rudely interrupt bed bath procedures to say "can I have a quick word?" 
Firemen arrive and trace the cause of concern , someone has detected likely a fire and being  a well intentioned person, ever on the alert to protect the patients, has smashed the emergency fire glass! Fire engine and other vehicles arrive. The cause is traced to the kitchen. The jacket potatoes have been overdone! Funny enough I heard it being said that the kitchen, obviously unaware of the great panic, as firemen burst in, thought it was probably a joke ( whose birthday?) and that the firemen were probably strippers! Not sure if that's true but that was the conversation!

Mandy will get transferred off HDU tomorrow, so she is well and truly on the road to recovery I am pleased to say. Thank you for your messages

9 comments:

  1. So pleased to hear Mandy is improving each day, lots of love, Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news Nick...onwards and upwards. Love to you both Shelly, Paul and Poppy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, please let Mandy know that I have called Cherrie and she will be in touch soon. Great news that she is getting out of HDU 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what can I say? I was so upset last night to hear your news but glad that at least you have got the op. out of the way and are making progress.
    I know you'll be a Trojan, Mandy, as you were last time (though you shouldn't have to go through it all again!) and Nick and the family will be great.
    I'm thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery.
    Thank you for letting me know - I'll keep in touch.
    My love to you all - and Tony's too
    Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your message Cherrie, it means a lot to Mandy, you are her idol!

    ReplyDelete